Wednesday, October 22, 2008

I know I called you, but WHO are you?

Awhile back, my girlfriends and I rented a cabin in the mountains and enjoyed a relaxing weekend of debauchery and tomfoolery (I just had to use both words in one sentence). We met some funny people along the way, including one who lived in the same town we live in. I got his number, he got mine, and we went along our merry ways.

Several months, yes months, later, while on a bar crawl and looking through my phone, I realized I had the number of someone I did not know. I actually thought it was the number of a friend by the same name. I called, looking for my friend of the same name, only to discover it was the guy from the mountain bar. We agreed to meet up. And we did. And it was fun. We started hanging out regularly, and every time we were together, the same thought ran through my mind..."this guy could be my best friend."

At the same time I was hanging out with this guy, I was involved with some event planning that was taking up a lot of my time and energy. He lost his cool and he lost me. It was a shame too, because he was a good guy and had such a great sense of humor and seemed to really believe in southern charm, hospitality and chivalry.

Every now and again, he'll cross my mind and I will laugh. Although we didn't spend much time together, we did get to know each other pretty well. But then I think about how we met - at a mountain bar and the fact that I had to call him to find out who he was in order to actually meet him. And that makes me laugh harder.

No comments: