Wednesday, December 8, 2010

So, do you like Bagel World?

Because I'm a professional casual dater and can't ever actually seem to get past the dating phase, I agreed to meet a boy at church. We discovered we went to the same church and he suggested (much to my delight!) that we meet for the 11 o'clock service and then "it would be [his] pleasure to take [me] to lunch." lawd have mercy! I thought I had died and gone to southern gent heaven! (only, he is originally not from the south and that prob should have been a red flag). Now, I don't typically go to this particular service, but because I had a lunch date (a real lunch date! I was so excited), I got up early, got cuted up and showed up on time. And he was late. He got there about 11:15 (keep in mind the service is only an hour, even when there is Communion). We sang some hymns, prayed and did all those churchy things. Except, right before Communion, he looked at his watch and said "say, you wanna get outta here and grab a bite to eat?" I said "right now?" and he said "yes." Bewildered is the ONLY word I can think of to describe myself at this point, so I said OK and off we went. It was a beautiful day so I had visions of us sitting outside somewhere, enjoying an iced tea and each other's company. A leisurely Sunday luncheon, if you will. Wrong. He said he would drive so I stopped off at my car to grab my sunglasses. I observed him doing a little jig as he was clearly debating opening the door for me or not. I mean, he walked to his side, shook his head, and walked to mine. Weird, but we applaud him for making the right decision. As we're cruising along the A1A (BEACH FRONT AVENUE!!), he says "So, do you like Bagel World?" Kind of a strange question, but we were passing it on the road, and it's a little local joint, so I obliged. "Oh yeah! I go every Fri. as my congratulations on making it through another week breakfast." With that, he turned the car around and took me to...yep, you guessed it...Bagel World. We each got a bagel with cream cheese. The conversation was strained as he kept looking at his watch. Finally, I said to him that if he were THAT bored with me, we could leave. He just said oh no he wasn't bored. He just had plans to watch football with his dad at 1p. Alright dude, I understand it's football season. My fantasy team butt whoopin' is reminding me of that weekly. But why would YOU suggest 11 o'clock church and lunch if you planned to watch football? I'm gonna go out on a limb and suggest perhaps he was just not that into me. Which is FINE. But be a man, grow a pair and either say lunch isn't going to work or do what you said, suck it up and TAKE ME TO LUNCH!! The good news is, I went to 11 o'clock church and lunch and was home by 12:30. Which was perfect since I had a 12:30 appointment with the toolshed.

No comments: